Friday, May 15, 2009

Calling All Moms!



I could sure use some advice. I am so confused at this whole starting cereal, fruits and veggies thing.
I started Henry on cereal after his 4 month appointment just in the evening. After about a week or two we added some fruits. Just last week I worked in veggies and just the past few days I have started adding cereal in the morning. So, he has a bowl of cereal and anywhere from a 1/2 to whole jar of fruit. At night, he has 1-2 bowls of cereal, 1 jar of veggies and 1/2 jar fruit. He wakes up around 8 and happily plays in his crib, never having a "hungry" cry. I usually get him and do a diaper change and then let him play for a couple minutes while I get my breakfast ready and start his. Then he eats. I've tried nursing right after and also waiting about an hour and either way Henry will always eat. He seems to be able to tolerate somewhere between a 3 1/2 to 4 hour schedule this past week. Does this look right? Any suggestions??. I mix his cereal with water, not breastmilk or formula.
8a awake and eat cereal and fruit
9 a nurse
10a nap time
12p nurse
2p naptime
4p awake and nurse
6 30p cereal, fruit and veggies
8p nurse and bedtime

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Go ahead. wrinkle your nose. Me? I want a spoon to gobble him up!

7 comments:

mommie said...

I would suggest nursing before giving him his cereal, fruits and veggies. otherwise it looks great

Embracing Every Moment said...

*Grace*I would suggest the same, nursing before hand, my ped always told me that cereal & baby food were for getting them used to different tastes & textures. Their important nutrients come from nursing/formula up until 1 year and not so much the "foods". ReLaX-your doing a gReAt jOb! He is very happy & quite healthy :). And remember you know best & what your own child's needs are more than anything or anyone! :). God gave us mama's that special gift!

Love the pics! He sure is changing...too fAsT!!
Love & miss you all!

Anonymous said...

Yep. You are doing a fantastic job with that sweet, darling, boy. I do agree that you should nurse him upon awakening as the majority of his calories should come from breast milk right now. Glad he is doing so well with the food, though. Don't rush it. It's fun to start the new things, I know, but those fat calories in your breast milk are what develop his brain and make him into a nice smart boy! :-)
You're blog is so fun to read, Grace. You're doing fabulously, wonderfully, well! Praise the Lord. :-)
mwr

Leslie H. said...

That's awesome that he is sleeping 12 hours at night:-) I'm still not quite there with Cole. I waited until 51/2 months before introducing food to Cole. So, we are probably at about the same place in terms of # of weeks are babes have been eating 'real' food. I've been confused by this whole process as well! I still nurse Cole 5-6 times a day (I believe that at this age they can go down to 4, but since I pump at work, I want to make sure that he still gets plenty of nursing opportunities w/ me otherwise it's too hard for me to keep up my milk supply). My feeding schedule with him is a little messed up b/c of my work schedule, but this is what I do:
4:30-6:00AM (optional) Early morning nursing
7:00AM Nursing
10:30AM (at daycare) 1 bottle (5 oz), plus 1 ounce of milk mixed with cereal. Plus 1-1 1/2 ounce of fruit or veggie
1:30PM (at daycare) milk
4:30/5:00PM cereal (if I have extra milk expressed), plus 1-2 ounces of veggies/fruit, plus nursing
8:30PM Nursing

The early morning feeding is starting to disappear (yeah!). Anyway, do what works best for you, but I know that it helps to hear what other people are doing! Oh, I do feed him, then I nurse him (after cleaning his face real well!). Otherwise, he wasn't very interested in the solid food. Also, I don't like the idea of over feeding him and I can't stop nursing him when he is still hungry--otherwise he wil let me know (aka lots of crying!). So, I give him a little bit of solid food..then when he is still hungry, I nurse him. He cries a little as I'm getting him out of the high chair, but he gets over it quickly! I'm also careful to keep his solid food feedings and nursing at the same time. For two reasons: (1)Cole doesn't eat well inbetween feedings and (2) I want to keep his feedings to no more than 6 a day...so no need add extra feeding times.
Good luck!

LauraSuz said...

Yeah, riight, like I have advice about this [:)] but I love reading what you and all the other mom's are doing! He's a happy Henry!

Kit*Grace said...

Thanks Ladies!! Good to hear I am on the right rack...I love to hear other ideas to see if there is something I can do to make it better/easier!!
Leslie- Henry started consistently hitting the 12 hour mark after being on cereal for about a week. before than he went about 11 hours. I also backed his nighttime feeding to 8 since his clock seemed to be programmed for 8 a waketime and it worked perfectly!!

Kit*Grace said...

Laura- you crack me up!! youre right behind us and will be here soon :) :)