Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The post in which I don't win Mother of the Year

So... you ever have one of those days where you wake up and just feel like being "fun"? This morning, I woke up and felt like making it an "extra great day"...you know what I mean? Last night I spent the evening completely detailing the carpets and hardwoods, and there wasn't a speck of clutter or dirty dish in the sink...which always makes me extra happy! So, I thought to myself..."I should be a really fun mom today...just Henry and I...who knows how many days we have left until the baby arrives!" So, we started off our day lesisurely and I let Henry pick his own breakfast...He wanted cereal, raisins and goldfish with orange juice...doesn't sound bad to me..comin' right up! We needed to go to the store but decided we should go first thing that way we could squeeze something fun in before naptime. So, we headed to the store and Henry was great. There he was holding my list and pen...I'd grab an item off the shelf, I'd tell him what is was and point to it on the list and he'd concentrate hard and work on "scratching" off that item from the list. We made a great team...no melt downs, no fits. Perfect! Grocery done. Check that off the list.
After the store, we went to Truett's (Chic Fil A). I was "fun" mom and got H some chocolate milk to go with his nuggets...
We headed home and he ate while I unloaded groceries. Once we were both finished with lunch, I told him all about how we had to go bye-bye again so we could go see some animals. "Unninnnamals"? He'd say with a smile on his face..."Yes, Sir! just you and me!" So, we load up and off we go to visit Noah's Ark. Henry has an awesome schedule now that he is down to one nap... I LOVE IT! So, we get there and he sees animals...we are totally excited! See picture below. This was him looking at the monkeys and right before the "Accident" happened...

I snap this picture of Henry. Next I'd try to explain in detail but to be honest, I still really don't exactly know HOW it did happen but all this to say...the stroller fell over. WHAT?! The stroller fell over??! I know. I felt awful. miserable. mommy guilt. stomach churned. adrenaline rush. oh me. oh my. The poor dude. I don't blame him if he has stroller phobia from now on. His leg is okay and his right arm had a red mark on it but it's the right side of his face that looks bad :(. It wasn't that his face hit the ground as much as it was the bar on the side of the stroller that he made impact with...poor guy! So, all this to say that "Fun Day" I had planned...out the window! Also, it's been "cooler" here but at noon it's still not "cool" so when I thought of this the morning it was 85 but at noon it was back to 100. So, on the way home I swing by McDonalds and got him one of their new smoothies since we were dying from the heat and because I still feel awful. Came home. Gave the kid some tylenol because he is getting even MORE teeth in and probably had a headache and body ache. Ugh. I still can't believe it. :(

Let's just say he walked the rest of the way... :)

7 comments:

Embracing Every Moment said...

oh my grace...lol! that is so funny...not that poor henry got hurt but reading it just cracked me up!! maybe that adrenaline rush will throw you into labor for tomorrow ;).

oh & i agree one nap is heavenly!! :)

Grace said...

I know, I'm so bad. And to think I'm having another any day...oh my.

Embracing Every Moment said...

you are not bad! it happens to the best of us...it all about makin' their skin tough & ours tougher! glad you didn't fall too!! :)

A urora said...

He's tough. And he'll still remember the fun from today. But he might have a little stroller phobia, like you said!

mamaw and papaw said...

Oh Grace. What a day. I love the story and then how Henry is beside the stroller and not getting in it. You are a terrific momma and Henry knows that. What a day. It is a wonder that didn't through you into labor.

Shana said...

nice writing! i chuckled too, not that he was hurt, but that you captured it so well!

Megan said...

It happens Grace. Don't beat yourself up for it. He's precious!