It's so hard to believe that this fall we will have been in Georgia for 3 years. And for 3 years we've worked on the inside of our home but not the outside. So, it's time to pay attention and add a little curb appeal! I started this weekend off Friday at naptime with a little before and after: the mailbox. Poor, pitiful mailbox.
So, here is our before on the front flower beds. They held those unattractive bushes that I pretty much loathed! So not cute! BUT, we are still going back and forth on what to put back IN there. Anyone want to offer input? We'd like perennials, something with some color...thinking pinks, oranges...I'll get to that in a minute...We are not adding any flower beds now...maybe in the spring around the mailbox, etc
Here is the after. We worked ALL day on this on Saturday and it's amazing I can move today! The front beds had rocks in them and Kit and I do not care for rocks. oh the fun of hauling wheel barrel full after wheel barrel full out of there!
This is the play room side. We took out the rocks and pulled two bushes out. We didn't mind the shape of these just the far left bush (that was dead) and the one all the way to the right we removed. Plus, since we are still trying to develop "a look" we decided to leave 4 of these.
This was the tough side. We had 5 bushes to remove. And like any true project, 4 out of the 5 weren't bad. The fifth was a challenge...that's when we got the john deere out! ;)
Finally all the bushes and rock removed...pine straw time! :)
Here I am with the boys! This was about 7 in the evening and we were DONE. After the tractor helped us pull out the last bush, we were lazy and Kit rigged up tying the bushes to the john deere so I could just drive them around back.
We are blistered, sunburned and sore but SO glad to have gotten that done!
So, anyone want to offer what to plant back in there? AND, here's another question...any thoughts on paint color of the house? Leave us a comment!
Have a great week!!








6 comments:
i vote for some purple coneflower along the back and daylilys in front, or maybe some dwarf fountain grass. it would give you a more natural/modern feel that the boxwoods do not.
@ Z- what color would you paint the house?!
We could send you home with the coneflowers and daylilys. We need to thin ours out.
LOOKS GREAT!!!
I vote for something natural in the back, such as a coneflower, black eyed susan, daisy. (but, I am not sure what is native in your region. Native is important so that you do not have to water after the roots establish) and a groundcover in the front. Some of them bloom and aren't a boring green, like Coreopsis auriculata 'Nana'. And I would scatter a few of the ground cover palnts in front of your shrubs to the left with a couple of the other plant of choice near the window. Basically balance is key.
I think the paint color is nice as is. It goes well with the stone. and siding. But, if you REALLY want to paint, maybe just a slightly darker shade of gray than the siding, for added depth.
http://www.wildflower.org/collections/collection.php?start=0&collection=GA&pagecount=10
Post a Comment